This document relates to personal information that Smith & Georg may collect, generate and store about its course participants (also known as students or learners).
Personal information may be obtained from Participant Information Forms, courses and participant results.
Smith & Georg abides by Australian Privacy Principles (as listed in Schedule 1 of Privacy Act 1988) including:
- Individuals are able to access their personal information, and receive a copy of information held (free of charge) by phoning the Smith & Georg office (Freecall 1800 991 985). If the information is found to be incorrect, it is corrected.
- Managing personal information
- Credit card details are destroyed a soon as they have been processed
- Information is stored long-term electronically, in a secure encrypted cloud-based database
- Paper-based information is stored securely for 12 months, after which it is destroyed
- Information is held to identify learners, issue results, to record expiry dates of accreditation, and to advise Regulatory Bodies.
- Information will be used by Smith & Georg to send reminders to participants for their re-accreditation, and to send electronic newsletter to participants
- Personal information will not be disclosed to anyone other than the participant, except:
- As required by legislation or regulatory bodies.
- If a participant gives their consent to do so.
- If a participant’s employer is paying for the course, the participant’s course results may be disclosed to the employer.
Special privacy provisions for Unique Student Identifiers (USIs)
A participant may give permission for Smith & Georg to provide their details to the USI Register to create or verify their USI.
Smith & Georg declares that it complies with certain terms and conditions to be able to access the online student identifier portal and submit this application, including a declaration that Smith & Georg has provided the participant with the following privacy notice:
You are advised and agree that you understand and consent that the personal information you provide to us in connection with your application for a USI:
- is collected by the Registrar for the purposes of:
- applying for, verifying and giving a USI;
- resolving problems with a USI; and
- creating authenticated vocational education and training (VET) transcripts
- may be disclosed to:
- Commonwealth and State/Territory government departments and agencies and statutory bodies performing functions relating to VET for:
- the purposes of administering and auditing Vocational Education and Training (VET), VET providers and VET programs;
- education related policy and research purposes; and
- to assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- VET Regulators to enable them to perform their VET regulatory functions;
- VET Admission Bodies for the purposes of administering VET and VET programs;
- current and former Registered Training Organisations to enable them to deliver VET courses to the individual, meet their reporting obligations under the VET standards and government contracts and assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- schools for the purposes of delivering VET courses to the individual and reporting on these courses;
- the National Centre for Vocational Education Research for the purpose of creating authenticated VET transcripts, resolving problems with USIs and for the collection, preparation and auditing of national VET statistics;
- researchers for education and training related research purposes;
- any other person or agency that may be authorised or required by law to access the information;
- any entity contractually engaged by the Student Identifiers Registrar to assist in the performance of his or her functions in the administration of the USI system; and
- will not otherwise be disclosed without your consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
Privacy policies and complaints
You may also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner about an interference with privacy pursuant to the Privacy Act, which includes the following:
- misuse or interference of or unauthorised collection, use, access, modification or disclosure of USIs; and
- a failure by Smith & Georg to destroy personal information collected by you only for the purpose of applying for a USI on your behalf.
Direct marketing is of a nature expected by the person receiving the marketing
- By purchasing a product or course from Smith & Georg you agree to receive material from us in relation to that product/course.
- Any material sent will include a simple and clear means of not receiving further direct marketing.
- Unsubscribe requests will be acted upon on receipt.
- We will never provide your personal details to any third party site for marketing purposes.
Our website uses Google Analytics. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
Remarketing with Google Analytics
Smith & Georg uses analytics data to serve ads based on a user’s prior visits to our website (remarketing).
Last updated: Apr 28, 2015