What Chemical Training Do I Need in NT?

Australia_NTIn NT the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries require persons using:

  • Schedule 7 chemicals (ie, those products with the statement “DANGEROUS POISON” at the top of the front panel of the label); and/or using
  • Restricted Chemical Products (Go to http://apvma.gov.au/node/988 for more information on RCPs)

to have a current Authorisation to Possess and Use Schedule 7 Pesticides (S7’s) and/or Restricted Chemical Products (RCP’s).

When applying for the Authorisation, a person must show evidence of a current Level 3 Chemical Accreditation. The Accreditation must be renewed every 5 years by completing a shorter Reaccreditation course.


Spray contractors

If you apply pesticides for a fee or some other reward, on land that is not owned by yourself or your employer, you are a spray contractor and must be employed by a Professional Ground Spray Business.  In NT spray contractors must have a current Professional Ground Spray Applicators Licence.  Anyone applying for this Licence must have completed the following courses:

  • Chemical Accreditation
  • Control Weeds – have a look – or contact us to find out more - 1800 991 985
  • Control Plant Pests, Diseases and Disorders (not required if the contractor will only apply herbicides) Smith & Georg does not currently offer this course.


For more information and to enrol, go to  www.smithandgeorg.com.au  or call us on FREEcall 1800 991 985


More Information

NT Department of Primary Industry and Fisheries
08 8999 2344

Important Notes

  1. Work Health and Safety legislation requires every person who uses chemicals in a workplace to receive appropriate training, even if it is not required specifically by other legislation. While this could be provided in-house by other experienced/qualified staff members, completion of formal nationally-accredited training, provided by experts, is often better.
    • The Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course is ideal for primary producers and other land managers who use significant amounts of chemicals in their work.
    • Our Advanced WHS AgVet Chemical Users course or Using Chemicals Safely course are ideal for people who  (1) use small quantities of low-hazard chemicals in their work; and/or (2) use chemicals under the supervision of other, experienced and qualified operators; for example gardeners, landscapers, groundspeople, etc. Please contact us to discuss: 1800 991 985
  2. Do you use chemicals in a business that has a food safety program such as Freshcare, SQF, GlobalGAP, LPA (Livestock Production Assurance), etc? If you do you should complete the Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course. You can enrol in this course nowread more about the course, or call us on 1800 991 985 if you would like further information or to enrol. If your assurance program requires that you renew your Chemical Card every 5 years with this course: Chemical Card Renewal – applicable in all States other than NSW.



Smith & Georg has taken care to ensure the information provided in this document is correct.  As requirements may change over time, and individual situations vary, we do not take responsibility for any loss that might occur from using the information we provide.  If in doubt, always check your own situation with the relevant regulator(s) in your state.