What Chemical Training Do I Need in Tasmania?

Australia_TASIn Tasmania there is no specific requirement for training or accreditation of people who use chemicals in their workplace; however:

  1. Work Health and Safety legislation requires every person who uses chemicals in a workplace to receive appropriate training, even if it is not required specifically by other legislation. While this could be provided in-house by other experienced/qualified staff members, completion of formal nationally-accredited training, provided by experts, is often better.
    • The Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course is ideal for primary producers and other land managers who use significant amounts of chemicals in their work.
    • Our WHS Supervised AgVet Chemical Users course or our other courses may be ideal for people who (1) use small quantities of low-hazard chemicals in their work; and/or (2) use chemicals under the supervision of other, experienced and qualified operators; for example gardeners, landscapers, groundspeople, etc. Please contact us to discuss: 1800 991 985
  2. If your business is involved in a food safety quality assurance (QA) program, such as Freshcare, LPA, NFAS and others; there will be a requirement for training in the safe handling and use of chemicals. Completion of the Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course usually fulfils this requirement.  Check the standards of your QA program(s) to determine what is required for your business.


Spray contractors

If you apply pesticides for a fee or some other reward, on land that is not owned by yourself or your employer, you are a spray contractor and you must:

  1. Be employed by a business that has a Commercial Operator Licence (this can be your own business, or someone else’s); and
  2. Have a current Certificate of Competency to Use Agricultural and/or Veterinary Chemicals.

To apply for this certificate you must have completed (or be studying) the following courses:

  • Chemical Accreditation (must be current; ie completed not more than 5 years ago)
  • Control Weeds – have a look – or contact us to find out more - 1800 991 985
  • Control Plant Pests, Diseases and Disorders (not required if you will only apply herbicides) This course is not currently offered by Smith & Georg contact Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water & Environment
    03 6777 2118

For more information and to enrol, go to  www.smithandgeorg.com.au  or call us on FREEcall 1800 991 985


More Information

Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water & Environment
03 6777 2118



Smith & Georg has taken care to ensure the information provided in this document is correct.  As requirements may change over time, and individual situations vary, we do not take responsibility for any loss that might occur from using the information we provide.  If in doubt, always check your own situation with the relevant regulator(s) in your state.