What Chemical Training Do I Need In Victoria?

Australia_VICIn Victoria the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources requires people to hold a current standard Agricultural Chemical Users Permit (ACUP) if they use any of the following chemicals:

  • Schedule 7 products (ie, those products with the statement “DANGEROUS POISON” at the top of the front panel of the label)
  • Products containing any of the following active constituents:
    • Atrazine
    • Metham sodium
    • Ester formulations of MCPA; 2,4-D; 2,4-DB; or triclopyr

To apply for an ACUP a person must have a current Level 3 Chemical Accreditation or equivalent.

An ACUP must have an extra endorsement(s) if the person wants to use any of the following:

  • 1080 baits
  • Methyl bromide or phosphine gas for fumigation (not required for solid formulations eg. tablets, blankets etc or soil fumigants/rabbit control products containing chloropicrin)
  • Pindone for preparation of baits (not for pre-formulated oats, etc)


Spray contractors

A Commercial Operator Licence (COL) is required by people who operate a business that provides ground-based agricultural chemical application services (i.e. all application methods excluding aerial) for a fee or reward in Victoria (except for specific types of pest controllers licensed by the Dept of Health).

COLs are split into three categories

  • All agricultural chemicals other than vermin destroyers/avicides and fumigants. This category covers those persons commercially applying herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
  • Vermin destroyers, such as rabbit and fox control products, and avicides
  • Fumigants used for fumigation of agricultural/horticultural commodities or soil, not rabbit or fox control.


Extra training and endorsements are required if a person wants to use vermin destroyers/avicides or fumigants. To apply for a Commercial Operators Licence for all other agricultural chemicals eg. herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc. a person must have a Chemical Accreditation Statement of Attainment or equivalent.

For more information please visit Agriculture Victoria.

For more information and to enrol, go to  www.smithandgeorg.com.au  or call us on FREEcall 1800 991 985


Important Notes

  1. Work Health and Safety legislation requires every person who uses chemicals in a workplace to receive appropriate training, even if it is not required specifically by other legislation. While this could be provided in-house by other experienced/qualified staff members, completion of formal nationally-accredited training, provided by experts, is often better.
    • The Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course is ideal for primary producers and other land managers who use significant amounts of chemicals in their work.
    • Our WHS Supervised AgVet Chemical Users course or our other courses may be ideal for people who (1) use small quantities of low-hazard chemicals in their work; and/or (2) use chemicals under the supervision of other, experienced and qualified operators; for example gardeners, landscapers, groundspeople, etc. Please contact us to discuss: 1800 991 985
  2. If your business is involved in a food safety quality assurance (QA) program, such as Freshcare, LPA, NFAS and others; there will be a requirement for training in the safe handling and use of chemicals. Completion of the Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course usually fulfills this requirement.  Check the standards of your QA program(s) to determine what is required for your business.


More Information

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources:



Smith & Georg has taken care to ensure the information provided in this document is correct.  As requirements may change over time, and individual situations vary, we do not take responsibility for any loss that might occur from using the information we provide.  If in doubt, always check your own situation with the relevant