What Chemical Training Do I Need in WA?

Australia_WAIn WA there is no specific requirement for training or accreditation of people who use pesticides (eg herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, etc) on their properties or on land under their care and control, however:

  1. Work Health and Safety legislation requires every person who uses chemicals in a workplace to receive appropriate training, even if it is not required specifically by other legislation. While this could be provided in-house by other experienced/qualified staff members, completion of formal nationally-accredited training, provided by experts, is often better.
    • The Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course is ideal for primary producers and other land managers who use significant amounts of chemicals in their work.
    • Our Advanced WHS AgVet Chemical Users course or Using Chemicals Safely course are ideal for people who (1) use small quantities of low-hazard chemicals in their work; and/or (2) use chemicals under the supervision of other, experienced and qualified operators; for example gardeners, landscapers, groundspeople, etc. Please contact us to discuss: 1800 991 985
  2. Do you use chemicals in a business that has a food safety program such as Freshcare, SQF, GlobalGAP, LPA (Livestock Production Assurance), etc? If you do you should complete the Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course. You can enrol in this course nowread more about the course, or call us on 1800 991 985 if you would like further information or to enrol. If your assurance program requires that you renew your Chemical Card every 5 years with this course: Chemical Card Renewal – applicable in all States other than NSW.


Spray contractors

If you apply pesticides for a fee (remuneration) on land that is not owned by yourself or your employer, or is not under your control or care, you are a spray contractor.  In WA spray contractors must have a current Pest Management Technician’s Licence, and work for a registered Pest Management Business.  Contact the WA Department of Health for more information on licensing.


For more information and to enrol, go to www.smithandgeorg.com.au  or call us on FREEcall 1800 991 985


More Information

For information about licensing of spray contractors:

WA Department of Health
08 9388 4999

For information about using pesticides in rural and land management situations:

WA Department of Agriculture and Food
08 9368 3333



Smith & Georg has taken care to ensure the information provided in this document is correct.  As requirements may change over time, and individual situations vary, we do not take responsibility for any loss that might occur from using the information we provide.  If in doubt, always check your own situation with the relevant regulator(s) in your state.