About our Advanced WHS AgVet Chemical Users Course
This Work Health & Safety course is designed for employers and organisations whose employees or members use agricultural and/or veterinary chemicals (eg herbicides, fungicides, insecticides and animal health products) in their workplace, but who are not required to obtain the Level 3 Chemical Accreditation, it is not applicable for people seeking to renew their Chemical Accreditation Card.
It is designed for people who spray food crops, use large/commercial quantities of chemicals, who use the more dangerous chemicals (but not those requiring Accreditation/Licensing) and who apply using mechanical equipment. Employers and Organisations should select this course to have their workers trained in the topics below.
This course is for people who want to do the Level 3 Chemical Accreditation course, but do not have a suitable workplace in which to practice & demonstrate the skills of handling and using AgVet chemicals. You might be an aspiring new-entrant to farming or natural resource management, wanting a course that may help you get a job in either of those industries.
If you have successfully completed this course Smith & Georg also provides an upgrade path to enable people to gain Full Level 3 Chemical Accreditation – contact us to find out more – 1800 991 985
The course content is the same as our Chemical Accreditation course but lacks the workplace skill assessments required for full accreditation.
If you or your staff do not spray food crops, do not use large/commercial quantities of chemicals, and do not use the more dangerous chemicals and only apply with handheld equipment, then our Using Chemicals Safely course may be the one for you.
No Statement of Attainment or AgVet Chemical Accreditation Card is issued with the completion of this course, however we do issue a Statement of Completion (where appropriate this certificate can be provided to the employer).
Note: It is not the right course for people seeking to renew their Chemical Accreditation Card.
What does the course cover?
- Reading & understanding chemical labels & Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- Safe transport, storage and handling
- Calibrating application equipment – Nozzle selection
- Personal Safety
- Keeping records of chemical use
- Chemical use and the law
- Protecting the environment
- Using Integrated Pest Management (IPM) to make informed decisions
- Managing Chemical Resistance
- Using tools like Delta T, spray droplet quality, buffer distances
- Improving chemical efficiency/reducing off-target damage
- Discounted Windmate WM-300 Weather meter (RRP $250. Your price $212.50)
- Unlimited support from our fully qualified trainers
- The Smith & Georg Advanced WHS AgVet Chemical Users course includes free (normal price is $150 plus GST), optional, access to our Animal Health Treatments course. Successful completion of this course will be recognised by a ‘Certificate of Completion’. The Animal Health Treatments course is not part of a nationally recognised unit of competence, it is an Industry designed module specifically addressing the knowledge of those administering Animal Health Treatments in their workplace. The Animal Health Treatments course includes the following topics:
- Understanding label/SDS information
- Residues in meat
- Resistance management
- Storing animal health products
- Application methods
- Keeping records
- Disposal of waste
Smith & Georg offer a number of alternative study options. Choose the one that’s right for you.
Use our online option to complete the course on your computer over the internet. Get started or call 1800 991 985 to chat to someone
Why do your Chemical Training online?
- Don’t wait for a course near you
- Do it at your own pace. Log on to the course as often as you want, at times that suit you, day or night. Take up to 3 months to complete the course.
- Eliminate the time and cost of travelling to a course. Do the online study and knowledge assessments wherever you have access to a computer and an appropriate internet connection. There will be some offline skills assessments to be done in your workplace. (Note the ‘Course Requirements’ link below)
- Choose the topics that are relevant to you, your industry, and your state.
- Also please view our page: Online Training – Computer Requirements.
How do the Smith & Georg online courses work?
The course is presented in a number of topics. Each topic has one, or more, video presentations, assessments follow at the end. The assessments are designed to test your knowledge of handing and using chemicals.
Course participants typically take 8-12 hours online to complete the formal training and online assessments. However the time taken can vary considerably from this, depending on each participant’s existing knowledge of, and skills with AgVet chemicals. We encourage participants to take as much time as they need to fully understand the information and practice the skills taught in the course, before attempting the assessments. This time may be spread over a number of days, weeks up to 3 months from commencement. Course fees may be forfeit for courses and assessments not completed within 3 months of commencement.
Help is available from our fully trained course facilitators by phone, email and fax during office hours. You are fully supported during your study, so if you have any questions or concerns, you can contact us.
This course is not suitable to be undertaken on a smart phone.
Face to Face Workshop
Our trained educators travel throughout SA providing full day and half day courses. When you enrol we will give you access to online training presentations to help you prepare for the workshop. These presentations will be particularly useful if you have little or no prior experience with chemicals, and viewing them prior to attending the workshop will make the workshop more meaningful.
At the course you will receive the comprehensive Chemical Accreditation Manual; and you will be offered a range of handouts that may be useful in your workplace. During the course your presenter will cover the many aspects of handling and using chemicals safely and effectively.
There may be an opportunity to complete some of the knowledge assessments at the workshop.The remaining knowledge assessments will take participants additional time after the course. This time may be spread over a number of days, weeks up to 3 months from the date of the course. Course fees may be forfeit for courses and assessments not completed within 3 months of course date.
Register for a course near you or call 1800 991 985 to enrol. Contact us on 1800 991 985 for a quote to present an in-house course for your business, anywhere in Australia.
The course includes a number of assessments that are designed to assess your knowledge , to be deemed Competent you must pass all of the assessments. If the assessments show a gap in your knowledge or skills, your course assessor will discuss this with you, and will provide further opportunities for you to demonstrate your knowledge and skills.
You have time to learn about chemicals and to practice your skills before attempting the assessments. Only start assessments once you feel competent to do so. You have up to 3 months after commencing or attending a course to complete the assessments.
Please note that we cannot issue your Statement of Completion until you have completed all requirements of the course, including successful completion of all assessments.
We invite you to view our Policies and Procedures, which includes our Refund Policy and Complaints Procedure at www.smithandgeorg.com.au/aboutus/policies-and-procedures .
If you have any concerns please talk to your presenter in the first instance. If it is not appropriate to discuss your concern with the presenter, please ring the Managing Director on 0408 899 386
Want to know more?
- Preview the course – A sample of one of the many presentations that are included in the course to provide you with the information you need.
- See our list of current and past clients
- Contact us to ask a question or request a call back at a time that suits you.
- Call us on 1800 991 985 so we can answer any questions you have or enrol you for the online course over the phone.
Please contact us if you require any more information.